Every Monday at 9 p.m. Eastern, we hold a random drawing from players who are online and give them a reward for their support of OtherSpace.
This week, the prize on the line was a Universe, which can be redeemed for an actual universe implemented in the CSpace system.
Congratulations to Blackmane for winning the prize!
Two important changes are coming to resource nodes that provide crafting resources on the MUSH.
First, when you craft Raw Aluminum from an Aluminum Node, for example, it will generate a total of three units of Raw Aluminum and consume the node.
Second, Aluminum Nodes – and all other resource nodes – will be craftable by anyone with the skills to use them assuming the room contains an appropriate “potential node.” Own a world that should have potential nodes for minerals and other materials? Let me know via +str.
Will be working on this during the next week or so.
This column appeared in The Herald-Sun in December 2013:
Thursday was Walt Disney’s birthday. If defrosted today, he would be 112 years old.
I owe him a lot, despite the fact that he left this world just a few months after my birth in 1966.
Without him, I never would’ve come up with my irreverent impersonation of “Backstage Mickey,” which proved popular at office parties after a few beers and a hummus plate.
I might not have frequently unnerved visiting relatives by declaring that “a ghost will follow you home.”
And I certainly wouldn’t have gotten my first real job, at the Magic Kingdom theme park, which opened about five years after Disney died. Read more
As part of Operation Sandbox, I’ve added eight new badges for players to earn for their creative efforts. They count toward the Participator meta badge:
- Builder I: Build 10 approved rooms. 150 SP per month.
- Builder II: Build 25 approved rooms. 200 SP per month.
- Builder III: Build 75 approved rooms. 250 SP per month.
- Builder IV: Build 100 approved rooms. 300 SP per month.
- Creator I: Create 10 approved objects. 150 SP per month.
- Creator II: Create 25 approved objects. 200 SP per month.
- Creator III: Create 75 approved objects. 250 SP per month.
- Creator IV: Create 100 approved objects. 300 SP per month.
As part of the new Operation Sandbox, you can expect to use two commands more than any other:
- @dig: The basic “make a new room” command.
- @desc: The description command, which you already use to @desc yourself.
Other basic commands that will come in handy:
- @tel: Allows you to teleport to any room that you own.
- @open: Opens a door from one room you own to another.
- @link: Links a door from one room you own to another.
We’ll cover other commands, such as @parent, in the next installment of this guide. Read more